Saturday, January 5

Teapots, 'nanas, Chocolate Gravy & my "Susie Q"

What a wonderful relaxing Saturday I am having!

I just got off the phone with my {Auntie Susie-Q}..my other most favorite Auntie in the entire universe! We talked for over 2 hours:) When we realized it.. I said, "Oh, that's nothing. Aunt Cherry and I talk for 3 and 4 hours at a time. My Uncle Ernie teases her about the phone beginning to grow to her ear!" *wink*

So we had a wonderful talk! *This is the teapot I spoke of.* We were wondering if it belonged to my Grandma DePugh or not. *So let me know if you remember it.*

I decided today that I have the "DePugh hoarding gene." Not an illness..just one of those things. So next time I have the urge to shove little Cracker Barrel syrup's or Splenda packets from a restaurant table into my purse, I won't think to myself "What is wrong with me?".. I will just laugh and think to myself.."I am just a DePugh!" *smirk*


We talked a little about Chocolate Gravy & Biscuits. I was stunned that she had never experienced it..specially after being exposed to the "Hillbilly" side of my family. Yes, I am part Hillbilly & part Yankee. LOL! I made this for Trae & I a couple of nights ago. It really hit the spot!
Hey there blogger friends..don't turn your nose up just yet. Give it a try, then let me know what ya think.

Chocolate Gravy
1 c. cocoa-unsweetened
2 c. sugar
1 stick butter/margarine
1 tsp. vanilla
1 pinch of salt
4 heaping tbsp. cornstarch or all-purpose flour
3 cans pet milk or 4 c. sweet milk

Stir together all dry ingredients. Then add remaining ingredients. Cook slowly. Keep stirring. Boil just until thick.
Pour over fresh, hot biscuits and enjoy!

*Growing up this was breakfast food*




I found Mattie asleep the other day like this. It made me laugh..so of course I had to take a picture..then I covered her with a blankey.


Mattie's morning ritual: 'nanas and milk. I had just emptied this milk jug and had to open another..for some reason she didn't want me to put it in the trash can..she just wanted to hold it.
She has some kind of wild hair when she wakes up..huh?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummmmmmmm-Yummmmmmmm,
I remember the chocolate and
bisquits very well!!! Nana would
make them occasionally on the
weekends for breakfast. It was such
a special treat to us. Another
southern tradition was to pour
sweetened coffee from the cup into
the saucer and SLIRP it up all gone!! Once in a great while Nana
and Papa would let us have a little bit of weak coffee in the
saucer! WE thought it was just the
coolest thing to do-Hee. Of course,
it was not an everyday event. Papa
told us it might put hair on our
chest-Ha! Mattie is so cute with
her 'bananer'.
Auntie Cher Bear

Missy Glave said...

I'm from the south and I've never, ever heard of Chocolate Gravy. It looks YUMMY!! I'll definately have to give it a try.

Your little one looks darling silly napping and eating her nanas!!

Susie Q said...

Oh that last picture is just too precious. I have one of my nephew that looks a bit like this. She is adorable!

Hugs,
Sue